ST MARY BISHOPHILL JUNIOR, YORK
PROMOTING A SAFER CHURCH
The following policy was agreed by the Parochial Church Council (PCC) meeting.
In accordance with the Church of England Safeguarding Policy our church is committed to:
• Promoting a safer environment and culture.
• Safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults within the church
• Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation.
• Caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons.
• Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons.
• Responding to those that may pose a present risk to others
The Parish will:
• Create a safe and caring place for all.
• Have a named Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO) to work with the incumbent and the PCC to implement policy and procedures.
• Safely recruit, train and support all those with any responsibility for children, young people and adults to have the confidence and skills to recognise and respond to abuse.
• Ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities involving children and adults undertaken in the name of the parish.
• Display in church premises and on the Parish website the details of who to contact if there are safeguarding concerns or support needs.
• Listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse.
• Take steps to protect children and adults when a safeguarding concern of any kind arises, following House of Bishops guidance, including notifying the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (DSA) and statutory agencies immediately.
• Offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when or where it occurred.
• Care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and the safety of all parties.
• Ensure that health and safety policy, procedures and risk assessments are in place and that these are reviewed annually.
• Review the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy, Procedures and Practices at least annually.
Each person who works within this church community will agree to abide by this policy and the guidelines established by this church.
Parish Safeguarding Officer: Angela Carter
Email: White-A10@sky.com, Tel: 01904 610237
Incumbent: The Rt. Rev’d Glyn Webster Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel 01904 628155
Other Local Contacts:
City of York Adult Social Care: 01904 555111
National Support Lines
NSPCC Child Protection Helpline: 0808 800 5000 (Lines free and open 24 hours)
Child-line 0800 1111 (Lines free and open 24 hours)
Action on Elder Abuse (Hourglass) Helpline 0808 808841 (Free phone Monday- Friday 9-5)
Samaritans Helpline 116 123 (Open 24 hours)
[between houses 9 and 11]
If you have any questions or wish to make an appointment, please contact Bishop Glyn Webster on 01904 628155 or email: email@example.com
or call our Churchwarden : Graeme on 07905248116